- Datum: Samstag, 22.April 2017
- Ort: wird noch bekannt gegeben (in München)
- Zeit: 14-18 Uhr (vielleicht auch länger, kommt darauf an, wieviel Spaß wir haben)
- Gebühr: 50 EUR
- Deadline to have artwork at Frauenstrasse 18. April 4, 2017
Hello Munich Artists! It is time for us to think about Munich Artists Say Hello 2017.
- DATE: Saturday April 22, 2017
- Location: TBD (Somewhere in Munich, Germany)
- Time: 1400 – 1800 (maybe a bit later depending on the location and how much fun we are having.)
- Fee: 50 Euro
- DEADLINE for Box Submission April 4, 2017.
- DEADLINE for Payment and RSVP – March 15, 2017.
Say Hello With A Box
This year, you will be using a box. This specific box. You can buy the box at the art stores for under 3 Euro. (2,84 Euro) at Gerstaecker. PLEASE USE THIS EXACT BOX. Do not make your own box. I want this box which is 16 x12.5 x 4 cm.
Now, what will you do with this box? There are no rules regarding what you make. Do whatever you want with this box.
Whatever artwork you make must not be bigger than this box.
You are allowed to manipulate the box in whatever way you want or make the box your composition for your artwork. The finished art piece may not be bigger than the size of this box. Finished sculptures may not be bigger than this box. Photographers, you can photograph the box or you can make the box a frame for your artwork. The finished size of your art piece may not be bigger than this box so if you print a print, the print no matter how you print it may not be bigger than this box. You may make a second print if I have wall space BUT DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT TALKING WITH ME IN ADVANCE!!
THEME – Munich Artists/500 Artists Say Hello is a way for you to introduce yourself to me and to the other artists in Munich. I want this box and that is the only limit I am putting on you. Do not use the world hello. I want this artwork to represent your artwork and style and personal self.
All boxes will be photographed and put on the website and also in a book. If we get the right kind of space, I will make an installation from the boxes. If no appropriate space can be found for an installation, I will turn Frauenstrasse 18 into an exhibition room to show off the boxes During May and June. For this exhibition, I will empty out most of Frauenstrasse to give us room to show the boxes (Very exciting.)
Submissions for Event:
50 Euro Payment to:
- KYFIO UG HAFTUNGSBESCHRÄNKT
- IBAN: DE88 7015 0000 1001 9508 70
- BIC: SSKMDEMMXXX
- StadtSparkasse Muenchen
- Reference: Munich Artists/500 Artists Say Hello 2017
Bring your Box to Frauenstrasse 18. Last day for box delivery is April 4, 2017.
Note I: This year we will be having 2 Munich Artists Look Books. The first Look Book will be the artwork from this event. The second look book will be published in September 2017 and will have a different theme. I have 2 Munich Artists who have volunteered to help with the Look Books. If you want to be involved in the development of the Look Books, you can let me know. We will allow artists to advertise in the look book. The book will be divided into the artwork part in the front and then the artist ads in the back. The art ads will be linked to ads on the website. I will be creating a separate post about the Munich Artists Look book.
The second look book will be published in September 2017 and will have a different theme.
I have 2 Munich Artists who have volunteered to help with the Look Books. If you want to be involved in the development of the Look Books, you can let me know. We will allow artists to advertise in the look book in addition to the themed image they share. The book will be divided into the artwork part which is curated and then the artist ads in the back.
The art ads will be linked to ads on the website. I will be creating a separate post about the Munich Artists Look book and ads and how we are going to move art news for Munich Artists to a news blog.
NOTE II: This blog post will be translated into German and will be on the website as soon as Holger translates it into German.
NOTE III: I will not mail artwork back to you. I will keep the artwork for 1 year. After the year, I will donate any artwork not picked up to charity. If you would like to participate, please keep this in mind. I still have artwork from 2016.
We are going to start off the year with a fun event Entitled Beginnings.
- DATE: January 28, 2017
- TIME: 1400 to 2100
- LOCATION: North Schwabing —Lihotzky, Fritz-Winter-Strasse 10, Munich, Germany 80807
- Why? So We Can Create Art Books, Eat, Chat and be Happy & help make books for an installation.
- RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24, 2016
For this event, we are the guests of Uta Alexander in the new artsy space in her neighborhood which is easily accessed by bus, tram, and metro.
Here is a photo of the space which can hold about 200 people. Uta’s creative community has tables and chairs for us to use, a small bar which will have beer available for you to buy and a nice stage for music, readings, etc. (If you want to entertain each other.)
From 1400 to 1800 we will work on art books like this one:
The theme for the artwork/Books is Beginnings.
Here is what I want from you:
- I want you to make 2 artsy books like the one above. You will leave one book with me for an installation and take one book home. I will photograph your books in a light box so you can use it for your portfolio and I can use it on the website.
- I want you to bring 8 – 30x18cm art pieces on paper that you make in your studio. I will scan abstract art pieces that you bring into the computer for a collaborative book. You will use the artwork you bring as the pages of your books.
For the book you leave with me, if you are making abstracts, please make sure the abstracts must have enough negative space for people to be able to draw lines around the colours. (on the scanned version) You can use any colour combinations you want. There is no limit on colours for this project. Just the requirement to have negative space.
All artwork must be on paper so it can go into a book. The paper I have in the example book above is bristol 120g which I printed on the risograph. The paper needs to be light enough to be held in place by the crown binding.
- Please bring 1 piece of heavier stock piece of paper that is 32.5 x24.5. My crown binding shown above is made with watercolour paper. The abstract on this piece will only be seen when your pages are not in the book so you can use a plain piece of paper if you want. I liked having art on it.
- Lighter weight paper for the outside cover. For the test book, I used a piece of wrapping paper from Manufactum cut to 30.5 x 43 cm. I will be using abstracts for my final pieces created on thinner paper to make it easier to bind. You can make your cover using thin fabrics with abstract art on it. Stay away from thick canvas.
- 2 pieces of cardboard 38cmW x 20.5cmH. I will have a few pieces in case you forget. If you want to use something else for the cover, make sure that it will allow you to glue paper to it.
- Everyone 14+ is welcome. We will have a table for the younger adults to work with each other. You MUST RSVP.
- All art styles are welcome to participate to make books.
- Only books created at the event will be used for the installation. I will photograph all finished books and share them on the website.
- Costs: One finished book to be left with me. There is no “Fee” for this event. We are Uta’s guests so the cost is whatever it costs you to make your artwork and whatever beer you want to drink. I will not be charging you for attending the event and for helping you create the books but if you don’t bring your own supplies, I will have little kits people can buy for 20 Euro.(Let me know when you RSVP if you need a kit.)
- Bring Food. We will have a table set up for a potluck. We have the space until 2100 so we can sit and chat and eat after we are done making books. I will be there from 1400 to 2100.
- If you write stories, you are welcome to make a book cover to put a short story inside. If you write a short story, the theme should be “Beginnings.” You are welcome to read the story aloud and submit the story in your hand made book for the installation. Please format your printed words to fit into the book to be glued on paper (That will be easiest).
Focus: Creating Artist Books
- Glue (Glue sticks)
- Credit Card/Creaser – to make the folds in the paper.
- 8 abstract art pieces 30x18cm
- 1 absract 32.5 x 24.5cm on watercolour paper for crown binding
- 1 light paper 20.5 x 43cm to cover the cardboard cover which is glued onto the crown binding.
- 2 A4 abstracts to glue on the inside cover
- Ribbon if you want to make a tie closure for the book.
Location: Fritz-Winter-Strasse 15, 80807.
RSVP at email@example.com by January 24, 2016
Munich Artists events are a way for Munich Artists to collaborate together and create something a bit bigger while having fun and enjoying each other’s company.
Our events are a way for you to share your artwork with your fellow artists and enjoy the process of creation for the pure joy of creating.
For Say Hello 2017, We are going to use a box. I was thinking of a cube but now, I think this kind of box would be more interesting.
The box has a plastic lid that slides back. I will order a sample to see what it looks like in real life and give you dimensions. I’m hoping to get boxes that are A5/A4 in size but I don’t know yet the size or the cost.
Once I have the details, I will have you sign up for the boxes and make an order so that you have 2 months to create your art piece. (It takes one to two months to get the boxes so I need to order them in November/December.)
For photographers who don’t want to mess with making the box into an art piece, You can make a photo box or use the box as a frame or as the subject of your art piece.
As we did in 2016, We will have a book with all the artists participating. The book will be called Munich Artists Look Book. For 2017, the pages will be designed by you. 21cm x21 cm with a bleed 21,3 cm x 21,3cm
I want each page to include
- a photo of your box artwork.
- Your name and contact details.
- No marketing or promotion. Think of this as an example of your artwork for others to understand your art style.
- Digital or Hand drawn and then photographed. Be creative.
I must easily find your name and the art piece made from the box. This is what people will see for you and use to pick artists for future projects like Munich Stories and Munich Artists Playing Cards.
This book will help you find artists to work with on your 500 Artists Undercover umbrella or to see if there is someone who you can collaborate with for our Trefubox.com brand.
Here is a simple example just in case you don’t want to think too hard about your lookbook page:
I will make this sample .psd file available ( for you to use so that you can just pop in your data. I will not be doing any design work on your personal pages. This is up to you to create.
COSTS: 50 Euro which includes the cost of the book, and some money to the gallery who will be displaying the work for a month. (Cost might fluctuate depending on the cost of the box. We will be using the box that I mention in this blog post.
DEADLINE FOR ARTWORK and LOOKBOOK SUBMISSIONS: April 8, 2016
Ready? Ready. Ready! Yesterday we told you about Kunst in Sendling and today we are sharing information about the Long Night of the Museum and 500 Artists Play Cards.
On October 15, 2016 the 18th Langen Nacht der Muenchner Museen is happening in Munich. (This is a SATURDAY event.)
The 18th Langen Nacht der Muenchner Museen is a city wide event and we have been invited to show the My True Self installation at the “Alles (ist) Offen”exhibition at Goethestrasse 53 -a designated event site during the evening of October 15, 2016 event. Der Internationale Beratungszentrum in der Goethestrasse 53 is an elegant old building which becomes Galerie 53 for one night. (Stop 91 Bus Stop Goethestrasse.)
The following Artists have been chosen to exhibit their work during the evening:
- Martin Blumöhr
- Jaime Gajardo
- Kerstin Ullsperger
- Julian Opitz
- Wolfgang Sreter
- Oliver Heiss
- Sima Dehgani
- Emmy Horstkamp & Munich Artists,
- Helena Gagern & Maria Heinrich
- Dennis Matrullo, Melanie Merz & Julia Pleuser
- Dennis Gebauer
- out of fabric
- Vivien Cahusac de Caux
- Costas Gianacacos
- Christine Kamm
On October 16, 2016 500 Artists Play Cards at Einstein Kultur (This is a SUNDAY event.)
“500 Artists Play Cards” is happening at Einstein Kultur from 1300 to 1800. We have all three cellar rooms and have the opportunity to share our creative energies and some of our artwork.
Option 1: Buy a deck of cards through our Kickstarter campaign. The cards are your entrance into our 500 Artists Play cards event. (A deck of Munich Artists Party Playing Cards will be given to you at the event and you will be mailed a deck of deluxe cards to gift for christmas or to add to your collection.)
Option 2: Buy a deck of cards from me. Email firstname.lastname@example.org You will not get any of the bonus gifts from our Kickstarter but you will have entrance into our event. I would love to have you there!
- Location: Einstein Kultur – Einstein Straße 42, 81675 München on October 16, 2016 from 1300 to 1800.
- Entertainment: If you want to present a story, a poem, installation theatre piece or play music, please email email@example.com and I will add you to the schedule.
- Food and Drink: (exactly like 500 Artists Say Hello). Please bring something to drink and eat. We will have disposable glasses, plates and cups.
- Planning for 2017 Munich Artists Events: Our 500 Artists events are the pool of artists we choose from first for our projects. It is where I went to first for our current Munich Stories project and where we picked the artists for this year’s Munich Artists Playing Cards.
You want to be in a Munich Artists project for 2017? Then buy a deck of cards and come visit me on October 16, 2016 from 1300 to 1800. What events are we planning for 2017?
Planned for 2017:
- 500 Artists Draw Lines (January 2017)
- 500 Artists Say Hello – 3 Dimensional Cubes (April 2017)
- Munich Artists Look Book (April 2017) A4 Art pieces
- 500 Artists Under Cover – Umbrella sculptures – (July 2017 – Outdoors Rain or Shine. Make sure your umbrella stays functional.)
- Munich Stories – A Fine Art Book Fair & Short Story – Flash Fiction Festival (October 2017)
- Munich Artists Playing Cards 2017 – New Deck – New Artists (Printing Scheduled for October 2017)
Hi Munich Artists! We are at 94% for our first Kickstarter.
This is a quick message to ask you to donate to our Kickstarter so we can reach our goal. This is our first time crowdfunding and we are so excited that you have been helping us out. To reach 100% we need to sell a few more card decks or have someone pick our 150 Euro package which still have one card proof left.
I have a few more artists bios to share with you. As I mentioned on our Munich Artists Card page, some very generous Munich Artists participated in our projects and have together created a wonderful deck. I want to thank each and every artist for their hard work creating our first Munich Artists deck. This is a collaborative project and each artist of the artists below has helped to make the deck a reality.
If you would like to see the individual cards, here is a small slideshow of the deck:
To help artists, will be trying three other crowdfunding projects before the end of the year. One through Generosity, one through Indegogo and another project on Kickstarter.
- link to our kickstarter
- link to our Backer options in German.
- link to 500 Artists Play Cards Event on October 16th
- link to the German version of the 500 Artists Play Cards Event
The Story of the Fifth King.
During the creation of our playing card art, we had a tiny little issue and found ourselves without any KINGS. With no time to find a new artist, we asked the Munich Artists involved to submit extra work and 4 artists volunteered to save the day.
A day before sending the work to the printer to get a proof, we were still missing a king. It was crazy – We needed a king and we did not want to be left empty handed if the missing king did not show up by the end of the day – It was a royal pain for the pair of Es (Elizabeth and Emmy).
With a printed image of King Ludwig II, Munich Artists ran around shooting several different types of photos so that Elizabeth could select an image for the backup king. Elizabeth picked this photograph for our Fifth King and the deck was complete (just in case the missing file did not arrive.)
Right before the deadline, Ludwig II arrived in our mailbox and Elizabeth quickly inserted him into the deck to send to the printer.
The Orphan King
After seeing people donate a Euro to our Kickstarter (It was not a gift option.) I decided that our kickstarter backers could adopt our extra king and make him feel at home on their smart phones or wherever the backer wanted to display the extra King of Spades.
In this King image, not only do you get a king, but you get penguins and a banana and who doesn’t like Penguins and bananas?
The file for this king will be available to all backers who donate to our kickstarter. A link will be sent to you at the end of our campaign.
Because this is my personal artwork, I, Emmy Horstkamp, give you permission to use him for any personal use and would love if you share with me where you put his majesty.
Today we are at 71% which is awesome! Thank you! Thank you Munich Artists Supporters!
Please share our Kickstarter campaign with your friends and family. The more backers we have, the closer we get to printing our deluxe cards and the more fun we will have on October 16th from 1300 to 1800 at Einstein Kultur. ( You must purchase a card deck to attend the art happening. Go purchase your cards through our kickstarter.)
Here is another image that I took of Ludwig (a gay king) which I thought was funny but did not send to Elizabeth.
Hello! This information is in English. Here it is in German. If you have any questions, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a list of the artists sharing their talents during the afternoon. Here is information about the Playing Cards we created.Here is information about the Playing Cards we created.
- When: October 16, 2016 1300 to 1800
- Where: Einstein Kultur Einsteinstr. 42 | 81675 München
- What: 500 Artists Playing Cards Art Happening
- Single ticket: 30 Euro (includes 1 deck of playing cards and a 1 stack of blank cards)
- Family Ticket: 40 Euro – 2 Adults and their children (includes 1 deck of playing cards and up to 4 blank card bunches)
Maximum number of people we can have for this event is 200.
We have a sponsor for this event which is helping to keep costs down. You will see their name on our playing card decks for the event and on wall posters and on every blog post and in our sidebar. We love Sponsors and are grateful to Stadtsparkasse Muenchen for helping us with this project.
Details of the happening:
You will have the opportunity to purchase 1 deck of Munich Artists playing cards and will be given one deck of blank white cards. The blank cards are to be used at the event. You can open your Munich Artists Playing Cards or keep them to gift away for Christmas.
At the event, we will have 3 (three) rooms.
Room 1 is for video streaming and watching performances. There are bleachers to sit.
Room 2 is for Playing Cards – The room is completely empty of furniture.
In room 2 artists can participate in creating a large 3d sculpture using their blank cards OR they can take their blank cards and draw artwork on them. It is up to them. If they want to draw artwork, please bring markers (edding/promarkers) We may be filming Room 2 with a Webcam to stream after the event.
The space has concrete floors. If you are going to be spending lots of time drawing, you will need to bring a pillow or chair/drawing board BUT you can also meander to room 3 and sit on a pillow.
Room3 is for singing on a small stage, reading stories to the people in the room, talking, eating, sitting on benches and drinking. This is not a quiet room. If you decide to read a story out loud in here, you better have a good stage presence to get people’s attention. If you want to do a monologue, we can schedule it for room 1.
Food and drinks will be located in room 3 OR in the lobby. There is a bar in the lobby.
We will have access to the main lobby and the bathrooms. The video loop of our 500 Artists Say Hello will be in the lobby and will be displayed during Kunst in Sendling. (the week before.)
Room 1 – Video Room – This room has bleachers. I will create a video using video clips from artists who send a video clip to me. The video will be entitled “How to play with cards.” The video you send does not have to be card related. You can put the video clip in my dropbox for this project. Deadline for video clip submissions to be included is October 1, 2016. Please submit a clip 30 seconds or less.
If you want to do a reading or monologue in Room 1 we can schedule it. Please let me know in advance so that I can create some kind of background in the loop for the time that you are doing your thing.
Room 2 – Playing Cards Room – We will have lots of space to create. This is a big empty hall. If you have something you want to create with playing cards, please let me know. You can create sculptures made from blank playing cards and bring them to show. I will have the cards before the event and will be happy to have you pick them up at Frauenstrasse 18. Playing Cards will be picked up at the event.
If you want to make a short video, you also have the opportunity to do this in Room 2.
Room 3 – Food Room – Everyone gathers where there is food. This room has low benches with cushions. It is really comfy and a great place to hang out. This space has a small stage which can be used for flash fiction reading. I will ask the artists working on munichstories.com if they will read one of their stories that they have created during the challenge month (September 12 – October 15th)
If you want to sing or dance or perform, please let me know and we will work something out.
If you are a conceptual artist and you want to create something interacting with the card sculptures and the space, please let me know.
Unlike 500 Artists Say Hello, we don’t have an installation display on a wall BUT the walls are concrete so you are welcome to bring an A4 print of your artwork that we can tape onto the wall. This will be an organic display. I will not curate it. You are artists. I know you will make it look good. ( I need to double check that we can tape things on the wall.)